Scented candles can be found in almost any room of the house to bring a refined and personal note. They are available in several colors, shapes, and fragrances to satisfy all tastes and desires. Wax, scented oil, and a wick: these are the ingredients used in their manufacture. Today, it is possible to find them in the various decoration shops and on specialized sites, but they are not all created equal. Thus, before proceeding to the purchase, many criteria determining the candle's quality must be taken into consideration. Here’s how to choose the best-scented candle.
Before setting your sights on a given copy, you must first stop your gaze on the scent of that product. Advice on this criterion is essential because the smell given off by your candle affects your mood. In the market, you will be spoiled for choice between the different notes of this kind of article. However, you must select it according to your desires. In particular, if you want to benefit from a soothing atmosphere, you can turn to models that have fruity notes such as lavender, chamomile, orange blossoms, or even marjoram. In addition, if you want to immerse yourself in an invigorating atmosphere, prefer the scent of citrus. These are citrus fruits, including grapefruit, lemon, or tangerine. The woody aromas will do the same. For a seductive environment, choose floral fragrances such as jasmine, rose, or orchid. Here are some examples of the elements associated with each family of scents traditionally used in the design of scented candles:
- Fresh notes: eucalyptus, lemongrass, mint, bamboo, and verbena.
- Captivating notes: cedar, leather, amber, fir, and patchouli.
- Floral notes: poppy, Rose, orange, lotus, lavender, violet, cotton flower, and jasmine.
- Gourmet notes biscuit, caramel, orange, cinnamon, vanilla, and chocolate.
- Fruity notes: fig blossom, coconut, almond, citrus, mango, papaya, and rhubarb.
The choice of wick
The choice of the wick depends on the very nature of the candle (candle poured into a glass, molded, sculpted, etc.). Cotton wicks, usually with a paper core, are recommended for scented vegetable candles (made with natural wax). As soon as the wick is lit, the wax heats up and allow the fragrance to diffuse. There are also wooden bits (often cedarwood) which are suitable for scented candles, once lit the wooden wick will crackle like a wood fire, thus awakening an additional meaning.
· 100% cotton wicks
It is strongly recommended to choose candles with a 100% cotton wick. Indeed, this type is guaranteed against any toxic emanation. After all, cotton is pre-soaked with wax, ensuring better ignition and durability.
· Synthetic wicks
It is not recommended to turn to candles with a synthetic wick. It goes without saying that anything synthetic is not natural and therefore is not protected against the risk of side effects.
The origin of wax
The wax used to make a scented candle can be of mineral, plant, or animal origin.
- The mineral wax, also known as paraffin wax, is the result of a complex process of refining crude oil. When properly extracted, the resulting paraffin wax is very pure, and its combustion poses no health hazard. This is why it is advisable to verify its origin. Europe, the United States, and Japan follow very strict standards and produce a wax free of any toxicological risk.
- The vegetable waxesrepresent, in our view, the best support for making scented candles UK. Natural and ecological, vegetable waxes come from soya, rapeseed, rice, or jojoba. They are free from toxic compounds (pesticides or herbicides), which gives them a prime place in the manufacture of quality candles. In addition, vegetable waxes have a very good olfactory rendering. They superbly reveal the fragrances of the perfumes with which they are mixed.
- Palm wax: This is a wax that works well with perfume, but it has a bad reputation because the intensive cultivation of palm trees impoverishes the soil and requires a lot of water. Despite this reputation, unrefined palm oil has many virtues that are too little known.
- Soy wax: Soy wax is more difficult to use.
- Vegetable wax is ecological and respectful of the environment. It has the advantage of having a low melting temperature, which allows a prolonged combustion time and ensures an excellent diffusion of perfumes.
- Animal wax
Animal wax is hardly ever used anymore. It is mentioned all the same since it is one of the alternatives on the market, although rare. The fact is that animal wax undermines certain animal species such as the sperm whale or the whale, which are now protected species. Otherwise, in the case of beeswax, the cost is quite high since this type of wax is only available in very small quantities at present and is used, especially in artisanal use.
Pay attention to the size of the flame and the smoke it gives off, which indicates good or bad combustion, whether or not the candle is harmful to your health. If a flame is too large, then it flames release a lot of fine particles. Just as black smoke gives off the soot, a quality candle will have white smoke and a measured flame.
How to choose scented candles for the home
Which perfume for which room? Although obviously a perfume is chosen according to the tastes of each of us, some perfumes are more suitable for a certain type of room than for others.
- opt for fresh and fruity notes for the entry into your home or apartment
- Choose a floral, rather floral fragrance for the living room. It is ideal for creating a pleasant atmosphere in this room of life.
- For the bedroom, prefer soothing scents that promote relaxation and sleep, such as lavender or orange blossom.
- For the home office, promote atmospheric fragrances conducive to concentration, with musk, sandalwood, and leather or amber. Just as vetiver scent gives off a sweet scent, homemade vetiver evokes a woody and uplifting fragrance that's very pleasant for this type of workspace.
- The most delicious and sweet aromas (cinnamon, cooked apple, candied orange) are reserved for the kitchen.
If you are looking for the best-scented candles for your home, check JJane scented candles collection and shop your favourite scented candle this holiday season to bring extra warmth to your home.